Document Library & Small Area Plans
The City of Garland recognizes some areas of the community can benefit from focused planning efforts through the creation of small area plans. These areas may be a corridor or other clearly-defined portion of the city. This planning approach enables a more careful examination of local conditions and provides focused recommendations for the specified area. Small area plans build on the comprehensive plan and provide a finer level of detail to address the area's unique needs and opportunities.
Various planning documents related to Envision Garland, including associated small area plans, are listed below and can be accessed via respective links. Additional planning work currently underway can be accessed online.
- Download the full version of the adopted Envision Garland 2030 Comprehensive Plan (PDF) (March 2012; note large file size)
- Download the Future Land Use Map (FLUM) (PDF) (updated January 2017)
- During development of Envision Garland, the City hosted a number of workshops at which residents, property owners, and community leaders shared thoughts and ideas on Garland's future. For more information, read the Community Visioning Workshop Final Report (PDF) and the Growing the Vision Workshop Series Final Report (PDF).
- Seven Catalyst Areas (PDF) throughout Garland were identified in Envision Garland as important commercial areas with high reinvestment potential.
- Forest-Jupiter Transit-Oriented Redevelopment Plan (PDF) (May 2013) a market-based strategy for the Forest-Jupiter-Walnut area, identifies assets and recommends catalyst project concepts at three key intersections within the area. The plan also emphasizes that success will be a result of shared activities focused on revitalization and reinvestment within the planning area.
- Downtown Urban Design Standards (PDF) (May 2010) provides guidelines that build on the unique character of Downtown Garland, allowing it to grow while maintaining the traditional character that draws visitors to the downtown area.
- Downtown Garland Redevelopment Implementation Plan (PDF) (RTKL, June 2005) identifies specific needs and actions for the downtown area and has resulted in numerous notable projects for Downtown Garland.